The Maryland Historical Society Collections Online holds this full plate daguerrotype in their collection – it’s huge at 6.5 by 8.5 inches. It captures the Marsh Market Fountain and Baltimore Street, a street more known in the modern era for strip clubs. The Center, or Marsh Market was established in 1784. It stretched along Harrison Street, between Baltimore and Lombard (then Water St), adjacent to where the Jones Falls Expressway now runs. The fountain, like many of its kind, provided water to the immediate district. These water sources were often polluted by waste, leading to outbreaks of cholera and typhus. Waterworks projects of the 19th century (like the Croton Aqueduct in New York City) began to bring in water from outside the city and contributed to the improvement in public health.
Read more about Baltimore markets here.